1. This wonderful story cheered me up no end. A friend of mine and his girlfriend went with her brother and his pal to this restaurant to celebrate his girlfriend’s birthday. It is a surf and turf restaurant – seafood and steak to me and you – and unbeknown to them, as they tucked in, it had a special Unique Selling Point, more of which later.
It was a VERY special occasion so no expense was spared. They started with a £180 bottle of champagne, followed by soft-shell crab in tempura batter, scallops, and then for the main course, thick, juicy steaks.
When the bill came, my friend – a maths teacher, and therefore not loaded – almost started crying when he saw the amount: £600. Even more upsetting was that his girlfriend’s brother had seemingly vanished, so my friend would have to pick up the bill alone. He reluctantly but dutifully handed over his credit card, but just as he was about to punch his pin number into the keypad, his girlfriend’s brother reappeared.
‘Stop,’ he said. ‘It’s already been taken care of.’
‘What do you mean?’ my friend asked.
‘I’ve just won us dinner. We owe nothing.’
And then he explained the restaurant’s USP: at the end of your meal, you are invited to take a spin on a roulette wheel. If your number comes up, the bill is cleared, If it lands on a certain other number, you have to make a donation to charity. He’d guessed 28 Black – and 28 Black had won.
Their only regret? They hadn’t had two bottles of £180 champagne. But what a gloriously happy birthday, eh?
2. After a lot of resistance, my four year-old has finally started to enjoy learning some penmanship, thanks to these brilliant work books their mum bought them at the weekend.
3. Getting a new kettle for just £15 from Morrisons, on the advice of Tweet @Tattooed_Mummy. It boils water. Which is all I really want from a kettle.
4. This Housedad’s Hangover Breakfast did the trick yesterday morning after I got to bed, pissed a newt, after talking rubbish with a mate until 2am. Chipolata sausages, smoked bacon, curried beans and melted Alresford cheese on wholemeal toast. Done!
5. Winning £101 million on the Euro lottery*.
(*This may be a lie)
What are your #R2BC? Click on the badge below…or add your post to the Blog Hop…or head over to Mummy From The Heart’s blog