I’m still getting the hang of this vlogging malarkey. I haven’t learned how to edit them yet – and they are taking an ge to upload to YouTube, so I’m probably doing something wrong – but I will persist.
This posts shows you how to make Spicy Vegetable Pakoras. I’ve done two videos here: one that shows the batter stage, and the other the cooking stage.
Here’s the recipe…
Make enough for 6-8 people
1 litre sunflower oil
Vegetables of your choice, thickly sliced (I used 1 aubergine, peeled ; 1 courgette; 1 potato, peeled and parboiled for 5 mins; 1 onion, peeled and sliced)
300g gram flour
Approx. 300ml sparkling water
2 tbsp hot curry powder
3 garlic cloves (peeled), 1 cm piece of ginger (peeled), 1 red chilli (de-seeded), beaten to a pulp in a pestle and mortar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
2. Mix the batter ingredients into a paste, thick enough to coat your finger
3. Add the vegetables and make sure they’re all coated
4. When the oil is hot enough to sizzle a drop of batter, carefully add the battered veg. Cook them in batches, taking care not to crowd the pan, for approx. 45 secs to 1 min 30 secs, taking care not to burn the batter. When they are golden brown, they are done. (I slightly overcooked mine because of multi-tasking with the vlog and the cooking!)
5. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. We had sweet chilli.