Start the day by giving the Great British Breakfast a Mexican makeover with this super-savoury Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper spiced omelette recipe.
Every weekend morning, we sit down as a family and have breakfast together. It’s the only time we get to do it because weekdays are so frantic with getting ready for work and school, we tend to just shake out a packet of cereal, drown it in milk, and wolf it down. But on Saturdays and Sundays we can relax a little. Take some time. Make breakfast more of an event, so that I can rustle up everyone’s favourite: sausage and bacon omelettes. But when I was asked by Old El Paso to give our Great British breakfast a Mexican makeover – a Brexican, if you will – I wanted to create a dish that was tasty and delicious!
I’ve been on a mission to introduce my kids – who are aged twelve, ten and seven – to more exciting flavours just lately. Fortunately, they love Mexican food – especially assemble-‘em yourself fajitas, so after marinating the some mushrooms, I helped them to slice some onions and sweet peppers, then crack a couple of eggs. Then they added some oil to a pan, sautéed the vegetables before adding a packet of Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix. A couple of minutes later, they added beaten eggs, allowed them to set and before they – or I – knew it, they had cooked a lovely, fluffy, spicy omelette.
This spicy Brexican is easy to cook and assemble so why not add that little bit of extra flavour to your weekend breakfast and get the kids involved. All you need are some veggies, some eggs and a packet of Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix. Enjoy!
Takes: 10 mins
What you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Red onion, sliced
- 1 Red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 Green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and pepper slices and cook until they start to soften, approx. 5 minutes.
- Tear open a packet of Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix and add the contents to the onions and peppers. Stir to coat the onions and peppers with the seasoning mix and cook for approx. 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and pour over the beaten eggs, ensuring they are evenly distributed. Cook for 2 minutes until the eggs start to coagulate.
- Using oven gloves put the frying pan containing the omelette under a hot grill to finish (make sure your frying pan is suitable to place in the oven first). Cook for a further 2 minutes until the eggs start to bubble.
- Remove the frying pan from the oven and lay it on a heat resistant surface so you don’t burn your work surface or table top.
- Use a knife to cut up the omelette into portions, then using a fish slice, carefully lift each portion of the omelette from the frying pan and transfer to your plates.
- Grate over Cheddar cheese, if you like. Tuck in!
For more recipe inspiration go to
• This is a Sponsored Post.