Every now and then, a housedad needs a break from cooking. All that shopping, and measuring, and chopping takes its toll. And so for a few days over the last week, I decided to take a break from my cooking duties and drafted the help of Hello Fresh, an ingredients’ delivery company that sends you everything you need for inspiring meals to cook at home in super-quick time.
Here’s what they do, in their own words:
1. We create amazing recipes. Every week our chefs create amazing recipes for you that are easy to prepare. Our meals are interesting yet simple. And we ensure that your diet is balanced and varied.
2. We go shopping for you. Sit back and relax while we do all the work. We source only the highest-quality and freshest produce. We’ll also introduce you to ingredients that you won’t find in your local supermarket.
3. We deliver to you for free. We deliver your recipes and ingredients to your door every week on Tuesday or Thursday. It’s happiness in a box.
4. You cook amazing meals in your own home. We take easy cooking to a new level. Recipes typically take only 30 minutes or less and don’t require fancy equipment. Anyone can cook with Hello Fresh. Our mission is to get more people to cook and our beautiful step-by-step photo instructions will change the way you think about cooking!
Back to me: Last week, we took delivery of Hello Fresh’s Classic Box containing ingredients for three meals: Sri Lankan Mahi Mahi Coconut Curry with Fine Green Beans; Sichuan Chicken with Orange Pepper and Roasted Peanuts; and Italian Polpetti Soup with Conchiglie.
The menus change weekly, so check out the Hello Fresh website for what’s next on the menu.
In the meantime, here’s a step-by-step guide to ‘Hello Fresh’ Italian Polpetti Soup with Conchiglie.
What it says on the recipe card: ‘As far back as 1897, Pellegrino Artusi, author of The Science of Cooking and the Art of Eating Well, included three recipes for ‘polpetti’. In Tuscany, they were a favourite of housewives who frugally made them using scraps of meat and bread to feed their hungry families. We are, of course, referring to the (not so humble) meatball. Here we’ve jazzed up the recipe with Pecorino and a kick of chilli to create a dish that will earm you from inside to out.’
Serves 2; ready in 40 minutes
200g beef mince
2 tbsp grated Pecorino
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1/3 cuup finely chopped carrot
1 stick celery
2 cloves garlic
1 tin organic tomatoes
1 vegetable stock pot
1 cup Conchiglie pasta
Fresh Focaccia bread
A pinch of chilli seeds
1. Boil 600ml water. Very finely chop the parsley. Peel and finely chop the garlic and grate the cheese. Peel the carrot and chop into small cubes along with the celery.
2. Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a pot on medium heat. Cook the celery, garlic and carrot for 5 mins.
3. Add the hot water, the stock pot and the tin of tomatoes. Leave the soup mixture to gently bubble away while you make the polpetti.
4. In a bowl, mix together the beef mince and 2/3 of the parsley. Mix in 2 tbsp of the grated cheese and chilli seeds, to taste. Mix in 1/2 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper.
5. Divide the meat mixture into balls half the size of a golf ball. Roll the balls on your chopping board to get them nice and round. Now add your pasta into the soup and cook for around 10 mins. (The pasta is ready when it is cooked through but has slight firmness left in the middle).
6. Heat a tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan on a medium/high heat. Cook the polpetti in the pan, being careful not to break them. When the polpetti have just browned off, remove them from the pan. Don’t overcook them as they will dry out.
7. Turn your oven to 100C to warm up the Focaccia. With 5 mins to go until your pasta is cooked, add your polpetti to the soup.
8. Serve with a sprinkling of cheese and parsley. Use your bread to mop the plate clean.
• Hello Fresh has three different types of boxes to choose from: Classic (including meat and fish) at £4.90 per meal, including transport; Veggie, at £4.75 per meal; and Family, at £4.00 per meal. You can choose three or five days’ worth of meals, and for two or four people.
• We have not been paid for this review, but were sent the Classic Box with three meals and for two people free of charge. It would have cost us £39.
• Fancy giving Hello Fresh a try? Get £10 off by going to the website and using this voucher code: HELLOKEITH