With autumn rolling in, apples and blackberries are turning ripe for the picking! These simple Apple & Blackberry Tarts – with added Ribena Plus – are the perfect treat to make after a morning of fruit picking.
This recipe makes approximately 15 small pies.
300g shortcrust pastry
A little butter for greasing muffin tin
2 eating apples, peeled and diced
4 tbsp of undiluted Ribena Plus No Added Sugar Blackcurrant squash
350g fresh blackberries, plus extra for topping
1 eating apple, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
1. Butter the muffin tins and then roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
2. Cut the pastry into 12cm discs or to fit the muffin tin holes and gently put them in the tin.
3. Meanwhile, add the apple and Ribena Plus to a small saucepan and gently cook for approximately 5 minutes to soften the apple – using Ribena Plus ensures you don’t need to add any sugar to the fruit.
4. Remove the apples with a slotted spoon and add 5-6 chunks to the bottom of each pastry cup. Keep the Ribena Plus to one side.
5. Fill each cup with blackberries then top with 4-5 further apple slices. Drizzle a little of the Ribena Plus liquid over each pie.
6. Cook in a preheated oven at 180C/Gas 4 for 45-50 minutes or until the pastry is slightly golden.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin tin. Once cool, carefully remove the pies; the filling will have sunk a little.
8. Top with 3-4 fresh blackberries and serve with low-fat ice cream, cream or custard.
• Ribena provided me with the Ribena-Plus to create this recipe, but my kids (and dad) drink it anyway, so it was a win-win!