Lobster Thermidor is an all-time restaurant classic. This is a much quicker and simpler version but it’s still a luxury Saturday special and no mistake. Each lobster tail costs around £10 but they are well worth the money.
2 lobster tails
For the sauce
1/4 onion, finely chopped
300 ml fresh fish stock
1 glass white wine
100ml double cream
1/2 tsp English mustard
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 lemon, juice only
A little salt
f1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
20g fresh parmesan, grated
1. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and gently gently cook the onion until soft, approx. 5 mins.
2. Add the stock, wine, cream, mustard and parsley and bring to the boil. Cook for around 5 mins until the sauce reduces slightly, then add the Parmesan cheese.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C. Put the lobster tails on a roasting tray and grill the lobster for around 8 mins, until the meat turns slightly blush pink.
4. Allow the lobster to cool slightly then remove the meat in one piece by cutting away the bony belly and spines with a pair of poultry shears. Then carefully lift the meat out with your fingers.
5. Put the tail shells into a shallow baking dish. Chop the meat from each tail into 4-5 thick chunks, then return to the shells. Pour over the sauce, then put the baking dish under the grill for approx. 5 mins until the sauce bubbles.
6. Serve with simple boiled or steamed vegetables, such as new potatoes and sugar snap peas.