I appreciate these photos aren’t great, but they were sneakily shot while my Mother-in-Law wasn’t looking during our visit there last week. She’s quite guarded about her Tiramisu recipe, given that it was handed down by her own mother, but I persuaded her that committing it to my blog would ensure its survival for time immemorial. (I also said @dawnlindsell had begged me for it, and that she was not the kind of woman to cross).
2 eggs, separated
500g mascapone cheese
500g sponge finger biscuits, or two circular sponge flan bases
250ml strong black coffee
3-4 tbsp coffee liqueur, or sherry, or brandy
2-4 tbsp cocoa powder, to dust
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into the egg, sugar and cheese mixture.
3. Mix alcohol of your choice with the coffeee, the pour over the sponge fingers or flan bases.
4. In a deep, glass trifle dish, arrange a single layer of dipped sponge fingers or one of the flan cases to cover the bottom of the dish.
5. Spread half the cheese mixture over the sponge, then add another layer of fingers or flan.
6. Spread the rest of the cheese mixture over the top of the second sponge layer.
Do you have a Hand-Me-Down Recipe to share? Then share it here. Add your URL to the linky below and let others reap the benefits of your cooking wisdom.