In the spirit of disclosure with which I have been tagged, I’ll try to make it a bit more interesting than: 1) I’ve got blue eyes; 2) I wear glasses; 3) I like a pint 4) I have three kids 5) I am married 6) I like typing; 7) I like to eat food; 8) I am a housedad; 9) And a reluctant one at that; 10) I need a new shirt.
Please bear with me on a journey through some of the weird and wonderful events that have been my life…
1) Dale Winton was my lodger. And now we share twin godsons. But we don’t live in the same house any more.
2) I covered the first Gulf War as a reporter and was involved in a car crash. Our car hit a sand berm in the Saudi desert, rolled over several times, leaving me an my Spanish journaist colleague unconscious. We were rescued by American troops, patched up in a MASH hospital, then placed under house arrest. I ‘escaped’ so I could get to see Kuwait being liberated, only to have another accident, this time involving our driver spearing the car on the barrel of a burnt out tank in the middle of the potholed road to Kuwait City. I was rescued by the legendary writer P.J. O’Rourke.
3) I worked on the Washington Post for three months after winning a fellowship. I got to meet the great Bob Woodward, but not Carl Bernstein.
4) I can raise my left eyebrow, like Roger Moore. But not the right.
5) I am 47 years old but I have no grey hairs on my head. Friends and family accuse me of dying it.
6) I was mugged in Delhi five hours before I was due to fly home after a solo backpacking trip. The thief took everything – plane tickets, wallet, credit cards etc. A friendly tuk-tuk driver saw how upset I was and invited me to live with his family for a week until I made arrangements to get home through the British Embassy. At the end, I got money wired through and tried to give him £40 – the equivalent of a year’s salary – but he refused to take it. ‘I did this for God,’ he said, as he hugged and departed.
7) I proposed to my wife at Gulfoss, the double waterfall in Iceland. She said yes, though it wasn’t much of a surprise as she was pregnant with our first son.
8) I would kill you to get to a nice piece of cheese. Ideally, a strong nutty Cheddar, like Montgomery’s, Isle of Mull or Westcombe (I find Keen’s a bit too earthy).
9) I have been stuck in lifts with Status Quo’s Francis Rossi and actor Ben Kingsley. But not at the same time.
10) My all-time favourite TV show is Seinfeld. When I die I want to come back as George Constanza.
So, that’s me done…who fancies being next? Please raise a hand – but don’t all rush at once!
No-one? OK, how about these guys…